Friday, April 23, 2010

Sovereign Show-Down

You know what really rumbles my thunder? People who challenge God's purpose in the universe. In no way am I referring to the innocent "why" questions of those who humbly seek for answers. I by all means refer to those who attempt to pridefully justify themselves... almost like an atheistic Job.

Everything that happens, happens because God is over all. Regardless of how you view God, He is sovereign. I can accept this. I am willing to accept this. I can't seem to comprehend how all things work together for the good of those who love Him, but I certainly would not want to take responsibility for such a task. I can hardly please several people at once! He is infinite, I am finite. He is sovereign, I am not; and I am okay with this.

Now, when people challenge God's purpose in certain events in humanity (i.e. 9/11, Haiti earthquakes, etc.) as well as in individual lives (i.e. personal troubles, health issues, etc.), a problem turns up. You see, the moment we object to God and His plan is the moment we try to out-holify God. The moment we object to God and His plan is the moment we hold up a standard to God. Where does this standard come from? How does it persist? If it exists, it must exist apart from God; but that is an absurdity, for there is no other standard that is independent of God. We basically assert ourselves as persons who know more, who know better than God.

The problem with that is that we attempt to assert our finite self over a sovereign, infinite Deity. Do you really think that's a good position to be in?

Draw!

2 comments:

Riley said...

It's an ingenious paradox isn't it? Man's thoughts run thus:

1. There is a sovereign God
2. Bad things happen
3. God lets them happen
4. This is unacceptable: God should do things better

So they say God must be bad or not sovereign. In declaring this, however, they limit God to their own little framework - their own standard. Cannot God be good and use bad in his favor? He's sovereign anyway, isn't he?

De Mentor said...

There ought to be a "like" button here.

Click!